How to Look and Feel Better Than Ever!

On a previous blog I talked about my weight loss. I have 11 pounds to go, but so far I have lost 64 pounds. Many friends have asked me how and what I am doing to get the weight off. Well, I am more than glad to share. I know all too well how hard it is to lose weight. I have tried several different diets, but they never lasted for long and if I lost any weight at all, it eventually came back. This is the first time I've been able to keep weight off and continue losing. January of last year (on my son's birthday), I decided to try to lose at least 50 pounds by December. By Christmas I had not only met, but exceeded my goal. After having 2 boys 2 years apart, and pushing 30, I did not expect to see the body of yesteryear, but I had planned to get as close to it as possible. Before I go any further, the most important thing you need to know is that this is not a diet, but my lifestyle that works and it's free.

Now, the first important thing was to start counting calories. I know this is hard and annoying to do everyday, but it has been one of the biggest tools in getting this weight off. Having a calorie counting phone application or a website is so important. Keeping track of what you eat and drink and seeing the damage daily in black and white will at the very least help you make better choices. It can be as simple as, if you find yourself taking up most of your caloric budget at lunch you will plan a light meal for dinner.Tracking your food and beverage will definitely expose your weaknesses as well. I used to think I wasn't eating a lot of calories because I didn't eat often, but once I started logging my calories, I saw that what I drank was the biggest part of my problem. I had to do the hardest thing ever- cutting back on the juice and soda. I started drinking lots of ice water before every cup of anything else and eventually, I cut the juice and soda out completely- don't worry, that is completely, but not for good.

Cutting out the sugary beverages is no easy task- hello, they're delicious, but if you do it in small doses it's not so bad. Initially, I decided I would drink water all day and then juice only with and after dinner, but not after 8:00pm. Then, I decided I would have juice only with dinner- one 8oz cup and no more. Yes, all of it was really hard at first and took a lot of discipline, but I got to the point where it became second nature to me. I didn't even notice I hadn't had juice all day until it was too late. Then, I started to just save my juice calories for the weekend. I was still strict on limiting the amount of calories I drank, but I could drink at any time, day or night.

Now, when I drink juice or soda it's a rare occasion so I'm not worried about how much or how little of it I have as long as I can spare the calories for the day. With soda, at the beginning, I just had to cut that out cold turkey with the exception of pizza nights, but yet again, I was limited. I would tell my husband, "I have to have just 4oz of Pepsi and I'll be good," but even that came with prerequisites. I had to have worked out that day, had not and could not exceed my calories for the day by drinking that beverage, and drank a full cup of water before I took the first sip. These days, if I want soda I might have Sprite Zero or Pepsi Max. Pepsi Max is not as close to the real thing as Sprite Zero but either way, I don't feel guilty since neither drink has any calories. However, I still keep in mind that it can be a slippery slope so I limit myself to one 8oz cup of that as well.

Like most of you, I too hate going to the gym. This serious anxiety comes over me with just the thought of going to a public gym. I probably would not have gotten as big or stayed that big for as long if I could have brought myself to go to a gym. I actually began and am still working out at home. I started with a little yoga and then walking 1, 2, then 3 miles, 3 times a week. Once I got used to that regimen, I started trying other cardio, fat burning videos, dance videos, and then kickboxing in conjunction with the walks. I used Exercise TV for the first 9 months, but then they went out of business, and I was devastated! Now, I use YouTube. I found some of my old workouts from Exercise TV and some other great videos too. I've found that kickboxing and Zumba (just tried that a few weeks ago) burn the most calories per minute so I've been sticking to doing one of those 2 workouts 2-3 times a week in conjunction with my 30 minute cardio routine. You can start with walking and stick with it or work your way up. The main goal is to figure out what you're most comfortable doing and will commit to doing at least 3-4 times a week.

Personally, I have tried several different fad-diets: the cabbage soup diet, the apple cider diet, cleanses, pills, and the big name-brand stuff as well that cost me a lot of money. Some were worth it because they worked for the time being, but none of them work long term. Eventually, they are less effective because your body adapts to it. After a while they stop working no matter how strict you are on yourself. Now, I was losing and losing it fast on the pills to be perfectly honest, but there is no magic or secret that will maintain your weight loss. The weight does come off, but losing the weight is only half the battle. The war begins when you're trying to keep it off.

After seeing my svelte high school senior/college freshmen figure morph into a very girthy, circular shape, I gather, the minute you stop paying attention to your calories and working out, you are pretty much guaranteed to lose the body you worked so hard for. You can follow my plan or any plan that fits your needs, just know, whatever you do requires your discipline and your commitment. Realistically, no one is eating cabbage soup every day, all day for the rest of their lives, no one wants to be paying a membership fee to lose or maintain their weight indefinitely, and there are some foods you just don't want to live without, understandably, and why should you have to?

I eat every and anything I want, but I know when to cut it off and hold myself accountable for it. I allow myself 1 cheat day a week where I just eat whatever I want. I still stay under my calories for the day, but my log could literally consist of nachos, candy, and crab legs WITH butter. I can do that because I figured out that a little indulgence once in a while will help you avoid completely falling off the wagon. If you give yourself the weekend or just one day to eat whatever your heart desires, you will still maintain as long as you stay within your caloric budget. Keeping track of everything that goes in your mouth even on "cheat days" will keep you accountable for your choices and make sure you don't over do it. Whatever your vice, it's fine in moderation, and your calorie counter will make sure you remember that.

While I don't deprive myself of anything, I know when enough is enough. I grew up with an old school grandma that required your plate be cleaned before you left the table, but those days are over. If I have 1 bite of pizza or a slice, I eat enough to satisfy myself and I walk away. Living with 2 boys and a husband that loves to eat makes giving food away too easy in my house, and there are rarely leftovers to go back to either which is a plus. It's hard at first, but once you become a responsible eater, you are more willing to adapt to the changes you're making because you know they are for the better. It can be a slow process, how ever long it takes is up to you, but you will see; it definitely makes a difference. Once upon a time I could eat 3 slices of pizza and have a big glass of soda to wash it down without flinching. Now, if I have a pizza craving I might have a slice, but if I find myself still hungry, I'll have some strawberries (only 3 calories a piece) or make a salad instead of going for seconds.

Start every day with a plan. I have a girlfriend that makes the best meatballs you could ever put in your mouth, and I have no intention on giving those up so I plan ahead. I make sure I get a good workout in and a healthy snack before I see her and her meatballs. Then, I know I will eat until I am satisfied and walk away. You have to learn when to walk away- stop unconscious/over-eating. I can't tell you how many times I have started with a few chips and looked down a few minutes later with a new batch and thought, when did I get these? I'd be lying if I told you I never had, have, or will have a day that just flusters me to no end and want to give up, but as long as I know I am capable of becoming big, I'll be working consistently on making sure that doesn't happen again. At the end of the day, losing weight and keeping it off is about discipline, commitment, accountability, and responsibility. When you choose to do those 4 things, the war will be won. I really hope this blog helps somebody. I sure could have used it years ago. If you give my plan a try, keep me posted on your progress and good luck!

Let's Review:
I cut my daily calories significantly and joined a calorie counting website.
I started vigorously working out for at least 20-30 mins. 3 times a week and now 5 days a week.
I watch what I eat and eat small portions-walk away.
I drink water all day, and slowly cut out all juice and soda that have calories.
I allow myself 1 cheat day a week, but stay within my caloric budget.
I have a plan.

Comments

  1. This was an awesome article! I really enjoyed the summary. This was the meat (or the lack there of, LOL)of the tips and instructions for your successful diet and lifestyle enhancement. Thank you for motivating us and inspiring us to do better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It comes down to being consciously accountable without torturing yourself. =)I know I can be long-winded and sometimes the really helpful tricks are in the details, but for those that just need "the meat" a summary is always helpful. =) Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Stagnant? Get Unstuck...

Let Go Like Elsa

I.Y.K.Y.K.