Grammy's Epic Fail in Whitney Houston Tribute

I absolutely must address the Grammys b.k.a the circus-fiasco last night. As a true Whitney Houston fan; I have to get this off my chest. Whitney Houston is a true iconic, diva, legend, and idol. I, personally looked up to her when I was a little girl. I don't know a little Jersey girl with big dreams that did not or does not look at the Queen of Pop as an inspiration. Whitney Houston is literally in a league of her own. No one has been imitated more than Whitney. No one's voice is more recognizable around the world. The things she has accomplished most artist only dream of. For example, she, Whitney Houston is THE only soloist to have the #1 song in every country in the WORLD at one given time. Yes, I Will Always Love You reached everybody.
With all of that being known and said, the Grammys, in my opinion, did not do her justice. This award show in particular is suppose to celebrate music royalty. What better place and time than in a room full of her peers to gather and truly celebrate her contributions to this industry? How can you not revamp your show from top to bottom, cut every set by 1 minute or even 30 seconds to make sure you do it right?  How can you, the day after an international music icon passes away, flood your show with the likes of 2 performances by Chris Brown, a terrible rendition of something by Rhianna, yet another 2 performances by Sir Paul (was that really necessary?) and have the audacity to even allow Nicki Manaj's sacrilegious antics for at least 2 minutes of the show, really? Am I to believe Brandy, Monica, Alicia Keys, Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, etc. none of them were available or willing to come together and give 'The Voice' a well-deserved tribute, but you had time to ask Alicia to team with Bonnie Rait for Etta James, and the 10 country music artist including Blake just so happen to be available for the other guy, but Jennifer Hudson has to play lone-wolf for Whitney? How does that make sense?
 Jennifer Hudson, while yes, she did well; she didn't even get to do the whole song. I understand not wanting to make the night a super sad occasion. I get not wanting to have a collective mourning of the stars show, but at least show the woman some respect, love, and appreciation. Maybe it's my fault for having such high expectations, but it's the GRAMMYS, and the media coverage leading up to the night didn't help either. I can't count how many times I heard how frantic they were behind the scenes at the Grammys trying to reset the show and scrambling to redo everything upon the death of Whitney. Is this really how you treat 'The Voice'?  Shame on you. You really couldn't give her more than 36 seconds of your 3 hour show? 1 word- despicable. I'm not a big award show watcher, and I sadly remember why- they're ridiculous and a huge waste of my time. I'll be going back watching the highlights the next morning on the Today Show.
I guess the lesson here is showing us how it's done. This is what happens. They will use you 'til there's literally nothing left; chew you up, and spit you out, then on to the next one- dually noted. All I can say is that I will always love Whitney and her music will fill my car, my home, my everywhere I go. We can only that the award shows that are up next do a much better job than these slackers. In the meantime, show a little love today. Show it while you still can. My Gram was well-known for her big heart. She taught me to always say I love you and show it too so in times like these, when you lose someone it still hurts, but not as bad as it would if you left things unsaid. Now, time get back to things and people that matter most to you.
Rest in Peace, Whitney.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Stagnant? Get Unstuck...

Let Go Like Elsa

I.Y.K.Y.K.