The Joy Grind

I noticed that when I counsel someone of our generation there has been an ongoing trend. Most of their fears come from a place of inferiority. Whether it is their parents, their spouse, their friends or just society in general, their greatest fear is not living up to someone else's expectation. I figured, what if we all changed the game? What if we decided that way of living was no longer acceptable? We spend most of our lives trying to achieve, succeed, impress or be the best at something, but I think it is time we give ourselves a break. Sure, I know we all can not just quit going to work, not show up for appointments, and stop paying bills, we still have to be responsible, but I am simply suggesting that those things stop being all that we do. Let me be the first to let you off the hook.

Now, I know what you are thinking- time is precious. Any time not spent on the grind is time wasted, not true. While time is one of few things we can not do over, get back, return, or refund and as precious as it is, we must not spend all of it in one place: work, home, tweeting, waiting for the next Iphone, etc. Take time, more often, to do something simply because it brings you joy and for no other rhyme, reason, or benefit than your happiness. Even the littlest things count. If you love television, watch it. I am certainly a sucker for great writing whether it is in a book or on a screen; I enjoy it so I watch. That said, it will not interfere with the many ways I appreciate the blessings and disappointments in my life nor will it hinder my progress, process, or productivity, but I enjoy it, so I watch. It can be that simple.

Whatever you do, find time, better yet make time to allow yourself to have intentionally placed moments of joy. Even if you take a moment or two to just relax. Take a little piece of this one life you are living and live it well and with your joy in mind. Let the pressure fall by the waist-side from time to time. Do what makes you happy. Be around people that make you laugh and smile. Live in a place that lifts your spirits just being there; embrace all of the beauty in just being you. Smile more, laugh more, hug more, and live better. Tomorrow is not promised. We all know that, but go a step further and do something today that will put your yesterday to shame, and do it for yourself simply because it makes you happy. You and I both know the grind will still be there tomorrow. Make some time for joy today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Stagnant? Get Unstuck...

Let Go Like Elsa

I.Y.K.Y.K.