A Positive Investment*

Your energy and your time may be spendable but it is also limited and can not be regained. Once you have given it away it is gone forever. Remind yourself of those facts when you entertain wasting your energy instead of investing it. Avoid wasteful actions such as arguing. Find a better way to get your point across and once you have, understand that the other party has a right to accept or deny your position. Badgering them will not make them change their mind if it is already made up.

This is a rule I have struggled with myself. I have wanted someone to understand my perspective so badly I could argue with them for hours. However, at this time in my life, I have realized that whether someone agrees with me or sees my point of view or not, that does not, can not, and will not have an adverse affect on me- or at least it does not have to. Now, I try to state my piece, and let it go. Let them do what they please with the information whether I like it or not. If the person is receptive or not is not my problem. If they are still unconvinced, no longer concerns me. Even if I know for a fact their position is wrong, invalid, and or completely erroneous I accept that and move on. Recognize and respect how precious time and energy is, and make sound investments. Do not waste either on frivolous things and arguments that do not really matter.

This is not to say there is anything wrong with debate. Debating can be an extremely valuable learning experience. It is an effective tool used to have a better understanding of someone else's point of view. It also requires your openness to another's ideas and beliefs as well as your acceptance of the other's right to have their view even though you may disagree. Keeping that in mind, here's the key, energy and time are like words once they have been spoken; when the are gone there is no turning back. That said, invest your time and energy in people and doing the things that bring you joy. You will always earn a positive return on those kind of investments. I guarantee it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Stagnant? Get Unstuck...

Let Go Like Elsa

I.Y.K.Y.K.